Many Windows 11 users have reported their mouse not working after sleep mode or after Windows has been suspended. It can be frustrating after putting your energy towards completing a project and suddenly the mouse starts malfunctioning. However, you should not be worried because there is a solution that can fix the problem.
Mice issues can vary. Some may have problems with the lagging, unresponsive buttons or might be completely non-functional. Such issues make you unable to continue with your work effectively. These defects are related to the power management of the USB that Windows performs or with the Windows drivers and mostly occur due to driver compatibility or incorrect change of settings.
When the devices are not in the configuration to restore the PC, it is important to choose the right power plan that does not disable it for use when in sleep mode. Also, you should verify that Windows does not close the USB ports. You can also use hardware and peripherals troubleshooter to solve the issue.
You might be wondering why your mouse not working after sleep and is non-responsive. In that case, the steps described in this article will help you fix the problem easily and effectively and make your mouse work properly again before you consider acquiring a new one.
What are the common mouse problems?
The mouse is an important computer accessory that helps in productivity. Its importance is realized when it stops functioning. Knowing the mouse problem helps you figure out the appropriate solution for a specific problem.
Apart from the mouse not working after sleep on Windows 11, there are other issues. Here are some of the common mouse problems and how you can fix them.
- Uneven behavior of mouse pointer, caused by unsuitable mousepad or accumulation of dirt in the sensor. You can fix this by replacing the mousepad and cleaning the mouse sensor using a soft brush or microfibre cloth.
- Slow or fast movement of the cursor which can be controlled from the control panel of your PC.
- Freezing of the mouse cursor. It happens when the PC has an extra load and hangs more often. You can fix such by refreshing your PC to clear all programs running in the background and restarting your PC.
- Double-click issues. It can be too quick or slow due to settings configuration. You can adjust the cursor speed and also set the double click feature on your mouse.
- The mouse stops working at all. It might be due to a loose connection or an outdated driver. You can check the physical connection to ensure a good connection and update your mouse driver to fix the issue. If it does not work still, then it is time to get a new mouse.
- Hardware issues like worn-out cables, faulty ports, or the mouse being too old.
How do I fix the mouse not working in Windows 11?
1. Connect the mouse to a different port (External mouse)
Issues of the mouse being unresponsive in Windows has a reliable solution. Connecting it to a different USB port is the most common fix, to begin with. If your mouse connection is to a USB 3.0 port, you can connect it to a USB 2.0 port for better compatibility, whether you are using a wired or wireless mouse. For computers that have circular ports, known as PS/2 ports, unplug the mouse and connect it again, ensuring perfect alignment with connectors.
2. Turn on the mouse
When using a wireless mouse, You should check whether it is turned on or not. A wireless mouse has a hardware switch on the back that enables you to turn it on and off. You can also swap the existing battery with a new one and see if the mouse works on your Windows 11.
3. Uninstall the mouse drivers
- Press Windows + R to open Run Window, type devmgt.msc then press Enter.
- Use Tab and arrow keys and move to Mice and other pointing devices.
- Go to the HID-compliant mouse entry, use the Shift + F10 shortcut to open the Context menu, and choose Uninstall device.
- Press Enter to uninstall the mouse driver.
- Press Alt + F4 and restart the computer.
4. Update the mouse drivers
- Open the Device Manager in the Run prompt.
- Open the HID-compliant mouse context menu and select the Update driver option.
- Press Tab to jump options and choose Browse my computer for drivers and press Enter.
- Press Tab again and move to Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and click Enter.
- Choose a suitable driver for your mouse depending on the manufacturer and click Next.
- The mouse driver will be installed. Press Alt +F4 and reboot your PC.
5. Uninstall USB controllers drivers (External mouse)
- Press Windows + R to open the Run prompt and type devmgmt.msc to open Device Manager.
- Look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers and press the right arrow key to expand the menu.
- Press Shift + F10 and choose Uninstall device and click Enter.
- Also, move to USB Root Hub and uninstall it.
- Press Alt + F4 to restart your PC.
6. Disable enhance pointer precision( Laggy mouse)
- Open Windows Settings using Windows + I and press Tab to move to Bluetooth and devices.
- Scroll to open Additional mouse settings.
- Move to the Pointer Options tab and disable Enhance pointer precision.
What are the causes of mouse malfunction?
The mouse can stop working in Windows 11 due to a number of reasons. However, proper knowledge of the causes puts you in a better position to understand what the problem is.
Below are some of the common causes of mouse malfunction.
- Irreparable hardware damage
- Loss of power or connection
- Interference between the mouse and the work surface
- Outdated software
- Operating system misconfiguration
If the above fixes for Windows 11 mouse not working after sleep do not work for you, check out any critical aspects. You can also consider resetting the Windows 11 PC to its factory setting in such a case. We also have a guide on how to fix the ethernet not working.
Feel free to tell us which fix worked for you. We would be glad to hear your feedback. Feel free to leave a message in the comment section.